The Carp Society are delighted to announce further detail about the August weekend, planned as a tribute to the life Rod Hutchinson.
If you're a fan of Rod which I'm sure you are, or just a bit “old school" we think you'll really enjoy this one!
Expect bigger and more, as we continue to build on the Horseshoe open weekend of the past two years. We will be joined by a number of Rods family for the weekend, as well as many of his long term friends.
* The launch of a limited edition book about Rod compiled by Tim Paisley and designed by Mike Starkey on our behalf.
* There will be trade stands around Horseshoe Lake.
* Fishing demonstrations including casting and the perch fishers.
* A large marquee for the talks, presentations and events
* The Society Museum which continues to grow
* Family activities and bouncy castle
* A daily raffle, with great prizes and draw time to suit everyone
* Opportunity to see our fish rearing activities, including our new "kiddies fishing pond" where, all being we'll your children can learn to fish (assuming we are completed on time)
* Food available on both days.
The programme for Saturday (times TBC)
Welcome and presentation to Rods family Chris Yates interview and slide show (recorded)
Memories of Rod: Chris Ball on stage with Rod's long term fishing friends, all with a story to tell! Featuring, Roger Smith, Kerrie Barringer, Mark Lawson, Mally Roberts, Andy Little, Tim Paisley and Jim Fielding.
The programme for Sunday (times TBC)
A Passion for Angling and Beyond - Bob James
Society Mega Auction, Including: French and other holiday venues, Redmire Pool sessions, rare leather bound books including number 1 editions of "Still for the Love of Carp" the one and only "Rod tribute leather"
We will be launching our own limited edition tribute book to Rod on the weekend and have also commissioned angling artist Chris Turnbull to do a painting for the book cover. A small number of limited edition will be available for purchase as a result. Pete Curtis, has also produced a cartoon for the book, which will also be available in very limited numbers. There will only be 1 leather bound of the Rod tribute book available which will form part of the auction over the weekend.
We will also have a number of Rod and Richard Walker prints, some Brian Mills drawings (proceeds to Gloria, Brian's wife) Full details to be published nearer the time.
Please be aware that that the proceeds raised from all of these events are to fund the costs of this weekend which will be considerable. Please continue to look on our web site, FB page and numerous other old school sites for further updates.
For anyone wishing to stay over both days, there are excellent toilet and shower facilities at Horseshoe lake where you are welcome to Bivvy up and sleep. That said, only those invited will be able to fish. Families, children and dogs are all welcome, under control, and cleaned up after please. There are a number of local hotels which could also offer accommodation, if you are unsure where you can check at the Society HQ.
All being well, see you in August!